Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cafe Rio Pork, Dressing and Rice

This recipe is one of my all times favorites!! Honestly it's so good that if I was dying, this would be one of my last meals on earth : )

Cafe Rio Pork:

Café Rio Pork 6 lbs pork- (I got a great big pork shoulder roast, it was about 6 lbs)
1 16 oz bottle of salsa (as pureed as you can find it, no cheapy stuff)
2 cans of coke (you will need this throughout the cooking process)
2-½ cups brown sugar (approximate, depending on the how sweet you want it, this is just what I did)

Put pork in a fairly deep pan, I just used a metal cake pan that I had. I think the deeper the pan, the better. Then pour some coke on it, probably three fourths of a can. Pour the salsa over it, and then sprinkle the brown sugar all over. I sprinkled in on the sides, on the top too. As it cooks the ingredients will mix together without you doing anything. I also sprinkled a little garlic powder over the top. Cover with tin foil; try to make a little cave. Cook at 350 degrees for like 3 to 4 hours. Check it and periodically pour some more coke over it. After it’s been in the over for about 3 1/2 or 4 hours take it out and shred it a little bit. It won’t be completely done, so just shred it a little so that the juices can start cooking making it yummy. Recover, and lower the temperature to 300 degrees, put it back in the oven until completely tender and brown. Probably about 2 more hours. It should fall apart when it’s finished cooking. The cooking times may be different for you, than they were for me. Just check it every once and a while. Enjoy!!

Cafe Rio Creamy Cilantro Dressing:

1 packet hidden valley ranch dressing
2 tomatillos, (I would use 3 if they are small)
2 tsp limejuice
2 jalapeno peppers (cut off tops, rinse out all seeds, duh.)
¾ bunch cilantro
1 good-sized clove of garlic
Dash of salt and pepper

Make one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing according to directions. Put in fridge and let it set. While it’s setting up start pureeing your vegetables. The smaller the better. I just used my little processor, the same one you have. Put your vegetables in the blender as you finish each one. When all the vegetables are pureed, take your dressing out and pour it in the blender on top of all the veggies. Liquefy!! I just kept mixing it up on different settings until it was completely blended. You may have to stick a spatula in there a few times, I did. But eventually, it will blend. Put back in the refrigerator for a little while, maybe about 20 minutes. Yummers!!

Café Rio Lime- Cilantro Rice:

1 lb long grain rice
1 bunch cilantro
Juice of 2 limes
4 cloves of garlic

Chop garlic and cilantro. Heat 2-tblsp oil on skillet. Add rice and all chopped ingredients. Sauté 3-5 minutes. Stirring frequently. Put 4 cups water, limejuice, and rice mixture into a 3 quart sized pot. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed. To go along with this I make my own pico de gallo. Before we ate them we sprinkled mozzarella cheese and enchilada sauce over the top of the folded burrito, then we put them in the oven and let them broil for a minute. Mmhhhh, they were delicious. Then put your Pico and lettuce on the side and presto, you’ve got yummy Cafe Rio night!!

0 comments: